By David Brown
This is part of a continuing series in which Dr. David Brown walks us through a textual analysis of a text. This week we’re looking at Colossians 1:9-10.
II. Paul Prays that the Colossians are Filled with Wisdom and Spiritual Insight that leads to Godly Character.
– Read Colossians 1:9-10
Grammar & Emphasis
* Paul uses two present tense participles (praying and asking).
* Paul is talking about regular prayer and on-going asking for the Colossians to be filled with God’s wisdom.
* God’s wisdom and spiritual insight will lead to changes in Godly conduct in how the Colossians are to live.
– Paul is teaching that Christians are not called to become repositories of knowledge and experience.
– The Greek verb for filled in verse 9 is a passive voice verb.
– That indicates that God is one doing the filling .
– Paul is asking that God fill the Colossians with wisdom and spiritual insight that will lead to Godly living.
Dr. David Brown (Ph.D, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary) is the Senior Pastor of Roseland Park Baptist Church in Picayune, Mississippi. You can follow him on Twitter at @davidbdwb.